2nd Annual Literacy & Learning Day Conference
Date: April 17th, 2004
# Registered: 1100
Keynote Speaker: Paul Kropp
Keynote Topic: How Parents Can Help in Education
# of Workshops: 49
- Attendees represented the majority of the 289 Public and Catholic schools in the greater Edmonton area.
- There were also parents attending this year's conference from various Edmonton Montessori, Private and Special Needs Schools, as well as from the University of Alberta. We also attracted parents and educators from as far a way as Fort Saskatchewan, St.Albert, Pembina District, Red Deer and the University of Winnipeg.
- The Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, the Honorable Lois Hole closed the day with a powerful address to all in attendance.
- Fifty-four (54) presenters offered forty-nine (49) distinct workshops to parents, covering areas of literacy, numeracy, behavioral concerns, computer technology, study habits and much more. We also provided sessions on Bullying and Drug and Kids. All topics were of great concern to those in attendance. We applaud these presenters who again volunteered their time and expertise for this event!
- This year, as in 2003, parents attending praised the day and they spoke enthusiastically of the need and value of this type of conference.
- We are still proud to say that this day was created by parents and administered by parents.
The message is still clear... parents are major players in education, and, by working together, are capable of great achievements.